Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Running, sigh...

Frustration sets in once again. I don't know why this is so hard. I was doing so well, increasing my running by a small amount each week, going easy, and trying to run consistently 3 times a week. Week 1, fine. Week 2 great, Week 3 -up to a 2 min run, pain again. I can't even run the amount I was doing last spring. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!@#$%^^$#@@#!!!!!!

So, I took 6 days off and felt better so took a step backward and went for an easy 1 min run/walk. Calf pain started again only a few minutes into it. Tried to run through. Tried walking more in between. No go. Did only 3km and had both calfs (calves??) sore for the next few days.

So.... I went for my gait analysis on Monday and it was really interesting. It took about an hour and she took all kinds of measurements and videotaped me walking and running, barefoot and in shoes. Long and short of it is that I have metatarsal overpronation, which means that my toe pads collapses in, causing my ankles to turn in and put strain on my shins and calves. In other words, I need $325 orthotics. Thankfully they are covered by my health insurance. Once in my llifetime.

I posted the data on TE:OTA for Knottedyet, my online bike buddy and she agreed with the diagnosis. Today I called to make the casting appointment and because it's Christmas, I have to wait until January 2nd for that, and then another week for the orthotic. I may not be able to run until around the 10th of January. And that's only if they don't need any other adjustment.

So now the real question. Do I keep trying to run between now and then and probably have pain when the orthotics are ready, or do I stop running AGAIN and hope my legs feel completely back to normal in January so I can start all over again?

Logic tells me one thing, my EXTREME impatience tells me another. FRICK!!!!!!!!

No comments: