Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year!

Well I must say, the new year is always a HUGE motivator for me. I think it's partly because it follows 10-14 days of indulgence and debauchery which, while enjoyable, usually leads to feelings of "fatness" and "unfitness."

I lost 3 lbs while I was sick in December but not surprisingly, I gained them all back in the past 2 weeks and so now find myself at the same "7 lbs over race weight" that I was all most of the fall.  But fear not, for it is January and for me at least, it's a great time to get back on track.

I decided once again, to join the 10in10 challenge on Facebook, primarily because I am a creature in need of varied forms of motivation.  Initially begun by Nigel from Running from the Reaper Podcast, the challenge has now been picked up by Coach Adam, and so far there are at least 25 members.  Adam has info and links on his blog post here in case you are interested in joining as well.

So for me - I'm gonna stick with the tried and true calorie counting with lots of fruit and veggies, lean meat and alternate proteins, healthy fats, very little bread or white carbs.  This time around, I'm going to cut back 'slightly' on the carbs and up the protein and healthy fat a little, see where it takes me. This will by no means be low-carb - I will mostly be trying to eat only 'good' carbs and avoid 'bad carbs". 


Today I did pretty well with my eating plan. I managed to control myself around the crap at work, and then this evening, I did succumb to a small piece of candy and a bite of Erik's butter tart, oh, and one slice of baguette with butter.  Not great, but not terrible.

I ate about 1800 calories today - should have been closer to 1600 but at least it was a workout day.  I need to eat less fat, and more protein - tomorrow, no butter.

Of those calories:

43% carbs
21% protein
36% fat

I'd like it to be closer to:

40-45% carbs
25-30% protein
30% fat




Training is going well I think.

Here's what I've done so far this week:

Dec 31 - Ran 8.5 km on the treadmill
Jan. 1 - Rode 18 km (45 min) on trainer
Jan. 2 - Swam 2100m (1:05) and full strength/core workout (1:00)
Jan. 3 - Ran 4.75 km outside

The rest of week's plan is as follows:

Jan. 4 - Trainer (45-60 min)
Jan. 5 - Run  (30-45 min)
Jan. 6 - rest day ? or yoga / stretch / core / upper body weights?
Jan. 7 - Long run (1:15)
Jan. 8 - Swim and Weights

1 comment:

Ransick said...

Happy New Year! as I sit here eating bread dipped in oil and seasoning.....