Sunday, February 8, 2009

Howdy folks

Gets tough finding time to train and work and podcast and update my blog. Maybe I spend too much time on twitter - ya think?

Anyhoo - my days are going well. It's been a bit hectic at work these past two weeks, meetings, parent conferences, principalship announcements that could affect my future - you know, the usual.

I've been doing fairly well sticking to my swim and run plans - swim twice a week and run 3 times a week. Made the mistake of running with friends two weeks ago and went faster than usual which irritated my shins again. Damn things are so particular. They've been bugging me off and on since then, but were mostly ok all week so I did 4km on Tuesday, 5km on Thursday and then went for 5.5 km on Saturday (instead of 6). This morning, they were really sore again.

I know what I have to do and I'm doing it. Thank you all so much for your suggestions but there's not much else that can be done but backing off, stretching, strengthening, icing, and ignoring.

Ran into a new problem with my swimming - the chemicals at the pool have been 'off' - either too much or too little - and subsequently, I have start sneezing within an hour of my swim and end up super congested for about 16-24 hours after. My eyes and nose burn and itch so much I wanna rip my skin off my face. Despite that, I am continuing to go to the pool, although I didn't stay quite as long last time, and hopefully they'll get the problem sorted out soon. Ugh.

Bike - when I am over worked at school, it's the trainer that takes the short shrift. Back at this week, I promise.

Strength - this has been hit and miss - not sure why. So I did a really good upper body workout today and I'm going to do some yoga before bed tonight too - with a focus on legs.

Plan for the week

Mon - bike
Tues - run
Wed - swim right after school
Thur - run
Fri - nada
Sat/Sun- swim, bike, run


Fun Stuff

I got a new toy this week - my cell phone died and could not be resurrected so I ended up coming home with a Blackberry Storm 9530 and I am in love. It is THE coolest phone I've ever owned. It's a phone, I can surf online anywhere I have cell service (no need for wifi), it checks my email, sends and receives text messages, plays music and videos, has a regular camera and video camera, built in GPS and maps, and much, much more. Yeah baby.

Teeth

My braces bug the crap out of me. Only 21 more months. I can do it.

Eyes

I have been 'adjusting' to monovision for 3 months now. I cannot stand it any longer. I need to see clearly. I wore a contact lens in my left eye yesterday for a few hours and it was SUCH a mental relief. I cannot begin to explain how tiring it is to have crappy vision. I have decided to get the left eye touched up and forget about mono-vision - it's just not for me. I think I can live with having to wear reading glasses, especially if it means I can see people's faces 10 feet away and read the labels on things at the store from 3 feet away. I am going to call the laser place tomorrow and make an appt - the sooner the better because I can't swim for 3 weeks after. I have come close to causing a traffic accident twice when driving in the dark in the past two weeks. Bad news.

Oh, I almost forgot!!

If all goes well, I get to join the boys on the Triathlete's Coffee Shop on Monday, February 9th at 5:30pm PST (8:30 EST). So far I haven't been able to get the sound working on my computer so if it doesn't work tomorrow night, I'll just call in on the phone. Anyway, please come and join us in the chatroom if you're not busy!

Then, I also get to be on the Runner's Roundtable - West Coast at 8pm pst (Note change) Monday, February 16th. Ultradad, Solorunner, and Quadrathon will be there and I think Ultradad is the host of this event. It'll be interesting to have a "West Coast" version of the Runner's Round Table - I'm looking forward to it!

I think they want me for my exotic Canadian accent :)

1 comment:

Lora Abernathy said...

I'll definitely try to check that out tonight. That sounds really cool.

Happy training!