Thursday, June 5, 2008

Oh my...

Just imagine my surprise when I downloaded the latest Phedippidations podcast today and found that mine was the featured blog of the week! Holy cow. I don't know what to say. I'm a bit overwhelmed I guess. I write this thing mostly for me and don't really think about anyone else actually reading it - I am almost a little worried that it would be a bit too boring for others to read since I tend to go on ad nauseum about every little thing [insert sheepish grin].

Anyway, I am humbly thankful to Steve for the recognition of us 'average guys (and girls)' and truly appreciate the 'kind words' (as he would say). I'd like to take a moment to let Steve know how he first motivated me to get out and run.

Three months ago, about a week after my eye surgery, I was lying in bed feeling sorry for myself. I couldn't swim for 2-3 weeks, there's no way I could ride my bike, and I didn't even feel up to running. I had downloaded a new podcast so I decided to listen to it while I dozed. I only got through about 20 minutes of it before I was motivated to stop whining and just get up and at least TRY to go for a run. That turned out to be a turning point in my recovery and I was able to get back into my training with renewed confidence. As I listened to the archives over the next few weeks, I learned about the World Wide Half, and was introduced to other running podcasts. Soon, I began to envision a specific running goal, in addition to training for my triathlon.

So thank you Steve for the mention in your podcast. I don't know if you truly realize how much you touch other people's lives and how even a simple suggestion can help to motivate people like me to just get out there and try.

As Steve says - "Run long, and taper".

3 comments:

Gordon Scott said...

Also a late developer I'm glad to have discovered your blog. I didn't run until I was 50. I'm now 52 and not much good at it but I'm a hell of a lot more active than most people my age that I know. And you have just started swimming to enter your first triathlon? Wow. (By the way do you listen to Zen and the Art of Triathlon podcast?) All the very best from Scotland.

Unknown said...

Nice to read your blog and share the entusiasm of triathlon....

http://trimario.blogspot.com/

Kelownagurl said...

Thank Gordon! I agree with you about other people our age. Not a lot who are truly fit. I'm glad that my husband and I have cycling in common. He has really encouraged me with my riding and I probably wouldn't be where I am today if it hadn't been for him.

I just downloaded Zen and the Art of triathlon. Will give it a listen tonight - thanks!

PS Both grandfathers were born in Scotland. Gotta go visit there someday...


*******

Tri Mario - Thanks for the comment! I checked out your blog and wow! I thought I was a data freak, lol. I love my garmin....