Thursday, March 13, 2008

Eye Update and First Run!

Well I'm still hanging in there. My vision is still up and down, more down than I'd like, but everyone tells me that it takes time so I'll continue to be patient. But I don't feel like myself and it's hard to get out and do things I need to do. I took my running gear to school yesterday but by the end of the day, I was so tired and felt really crummy so I ended up dragging my butt (and my gear) home and having a nap, then going to bed early. My vision was pretty crappy yesterday as well. This morning, it was a little better, but only back to what it was on Tuesday. I really do noticed now that it is distortion as opposed to blurriness, and it's annoying and disconcerting. hard to explain, hard to understand. I can't quite put my finger on it - I just don't feel 'right". Anyway, again I took my gear to school and again I dragged it home unused. My vision was pretty blurry by the time I got home and I was tired so did a bit of work and went to lie down for a little while. I listened to a new running podcast called Phedippidations and found it quite interesting and amusing. Steverunner, the guy who does the podcast was just going out for a 14 mile run and he talks while he runs, as well as inserts other bits and pieces. I listened (and dozed) for about 20 minutes, then felt motivated to get up out of bed and at least TRY to go for a run. By now it was 5:45 but it was still light out so off I went.

I did my 3:00 min. walking warmup, then started 3:00/1:00 run/walk intervals. The tops of my feet right away as soon as I put my shoes on, even my right foot! It was the first time I've tried running with the cut down left orthotic and I have a feeling I AM gong to have to get it recast after all. After the first run, I stopped to loosen my shoes a bit, and eventually, they stopped hurting and only I felt a bit of 'discomfort'. Argh. My last run was without any orthotics and I felt great before, during, and after. Anyway, I'll give it a few more runs and then if it's still a problem, I'll deal with it after our vacation.

I felt all sorts of stiff aches and pains - my body rebelling after 10 days off. But I kept going and I didn't cut back from my last run interval time. I figured, why bother. Overall, my vision didn't seem to bother me too much. I wore sunglassses, even though it was cloudy, and I continued listening to the podcast throughout the run (It's 1:30 hours long I think.) I was cautious where I put my feet and made sure there were no rocks or anything I could trip over. I tried to stay off the gravel on the sides of the road - it will be nice when it's all cleared off the roads.

Anyway, I did 3.8km, in 30 minutes. 18:00 running in total. I think it was great to get out and run - more for my mental state than anything else. I think I will try to fit in a run on Saturday as well, and maybe go to the gym tomorrow??

Gotta get back at it...

Friday - eye doctor appt at2:45.
Saturday - pack, run, snow tires on
Sunday - Sunday - Sa;tspring, Tofino, Vancouver!!

No comments: