Monday, November 10, 2014

November 10, 2014

Tomorrow is Remembrance Day so we had a touching assembly at school today. I didn't work out today so instead, I will tell you about my Grandpa.

My paternal Grandfather was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in1897 (100 years before my son!). He  emigrated to Canada with his family in May 1912, when he was 14 years old. The family settled in Vancouver where he went to school. In November 1917, he enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force - the 1st Depot Battalion, 68th Battery Vancouver, BC and was sent overseas. 

He was stationed in Bramshott, England, southeast of London, close to Southampton.  I wish I had known that when I was in England this past summer so I could have visited the area. His discharge papers say he served in CRA (Commanding Royal Artillery) and Record Clearing Office.  His rank was "Driver".

Grandpa never told me anything about his time in the army so I have no stories.  In fact, I didn't even know he was in WWI until I was going through some of my Grandma's papers long after they both had died.

My grandfather was discharged from the army on August 25, 1919, after the war had ended. He became an accountant, married my grandma in 1927, and had two children, both of whom predeceased him. He died at the respectable age of 80 in 1977.  I remember him well.

He was always "old" as long as I knew him. I remember him as being soft spoken and kind. He was not a very big man - only 5'5" tall.   He loved classical music and played the piano and so he was always very interested in how I was doing my piano lessons. And I remember he still had a Scottish accent so I loved the way he said my name and rolled his r's.

Thanks for your service, Grandpa.  Rest in Peace.

Lest We Forget.



No comments: