Sunday, January 26, 2014

Race Goals

My main goal is to be healthy and fit but it's always fun to do a race, so I am planning to do some kind of running race before the end of June.  My pie-in-the-sky goal was to do the Run for Water Marathon on May 25, but that was very dependent on my having perfect health all year and never missing a long run.  My secondary goal is to run a half marathon - it could be the at the same venue, or it could be local if there's anything on the schedule, or it could even just be a fun, self-supported race, I'm pretty flexible.

Training

So the plan is, I am trying to run 3 times a week and do a weight routine 3 times a week.  Once the weather warms up, I'll get back on my bike as well, but I'm not planning to ride the trainer this winter. I want to have fun. :)

Over the past year, I've had quite a few flareups with my low back and once again, it reared its ugly head last week and stopped me from working out for a week.  When it didn't settle down after 2-3 days of rest, I made an appt with my chiropractor and she fixed me up.  After the 2nd appt, I was able to run again and so today, I managed to get out for an 8 km "long" run.  I missed my 10k last weekend, and this weekend was supposed to be 12 km so clearly my marathon plan is already in the toilet. Ah well, as much as I want to do it, I didn't have my heart set on it, so I'm ok with that. I'll just keep on training and make a half marathon my focus for now.

Eating

I've managed to keep to my healthy eating plan quite well and I'm down 3-4 lbs over the past 3 weeks. Yay me.  There's nothing like success to keep you one track.  This is usually the time when resolutions become more difficult to maintain so I am ready for that and making sure I still get the week's veggies cuts, my soup and paleo muffins made, and the week's dinners roughly planned. I've checked my calendar and looked to see where my workouts might be compromised so I can be proactive and plan ahead.  I think I'm set for another week.  It would be nice to be down a total of 5 lbs by the end of 4 weeks, wouldn't it?

You!

If you have begun to start wavering on the goals you set a few weeks ago, STOP right now. It's never too late to get back on track. Re-adjust, re-evaluate, be proactive and figure out your stumbling blocks, and get back on track. Now!

1 comment:

Mark Wallace said...

Being fit and healthy is always a great goal to achieve every year. And judging with your training, adjustment appointments, and eating plans, there’s no doubt that you will achieve it. Keep it up! :)

Mark Wallace @ Chiropractic Memphis