Friday, February 11, 2011

Afraid to Jinx it but....

I'd like to continue with my last positive post and say, I'm still running and I'm still feeling good!

OK, quick, everyone go knock on something made of wood!

It's been a little over two weeks and things are going really well. I've managed to build up my long run to 1:45, about 15 km at a slow pace, and I have started to pick up the pace a little on my mid week runs to see how things go. So far so good.

On Sunday, January 30, I did my planned long run for 90 minutes. I kept the pace slow and easy and focussed on good form, trying hard not to over stride and to keep my body loose and relaxed. I've been adding 15 min to my long run each week and not surprisingly, I always feel great until that last 15 minutes. Funny how that works eh?

That run finished up my second week of Base 1 with a total of 7 1/2 hours of training -

2 X 45 min run
1 X 90 min run
2 X 45 min bike
1 X 90 min bike
3 X 30 min strength
No swimming.

I am doing two weeks of training, followed by a rest week and since the next week included a lot of errands, meetings, and parent teacher interviews, it was a good thing it was a rest week.

During the week Jan 31 - Feb 6

I did 2 X 30 min runs at a little faster pace. I usually run around 7 min / km (11:30 mile) but for these two runs, I did around 6:30 / km (10:15 mile) just to see how it would feel. I had no pain afterward so next week I'm going to bump it up to 6:15 / km. I know I can run 5:30 but I want to get there slowly and carefully.

I didn't get on my bike at all - there was only one day where I could have but I bailed, boo me.

On the weekend, Erik and I went away to Salmon Arm and we went skate skiing for a few hours on Saturday. On Sunday, we came back early because of an impending snow storm and I did a step back long run in a blizzard, running 10 km in 1:15.

During the week, I did continue with my stretching, yoga, and some core but didn't do my hand weights. I also went to one last IMS appt and saw my chiropractor for more ART. I am feeling almost normal now - yay! The skate skiing didn't even bother my groin at all by the way.

This week past, (Feb 7-13) has been a bit messed up. I took my usual rest day on Monday, and then had to make soem decisions about training for the week. Normally I run on Tuesday and Thursday with a long run on the weekend. However, this week, I had my wisdom teeth out and most people thought I wouldn't likely feel like / be able to do my 1:45 long run on the weekend. So I decided to push my Tuesday run ahead a day and make it my long run.

Circumstances were such that I couldn't even start my run until after 7pm so I drove down to the flats and did my run there. Once again, I felt good for 1:30 and only started to plod for the last 15 minutes. 15 km in the bag. That's my longest run in awhile. The interesting thing is that nothing was hurting the next day either - not my foot, my PTT, my shins, nothing. It's such a nice feeling.

I really feel like I'm going to be ready for the half marathon in another month. I mean, I know I could go run the distance right now, but my goal for this race is to meet or beat my Victoria time (2:24) and not feel totally trashed afterward. In fact, I won't even care if I'm a little slower - I think I should easily be able to run it in 2:30 and feel 100% the next day. I know I could run 2:15 or faster right now but I'd be hurting and that's not part of the plan with my half iron coming up in June.

So anyway, this week was supposed to be Base 2 and the only thing that is really getting done is the running. Depending on how I feel, I may do the planned brick (2:00 bike+ :15 min run) on the weekend, but more likely, I'll push that off to mid week, or even next weekend. I have one brick planned every weekend for the next 4 weeks so it may just have to wait.

The biggest risk with my mouth right now, is the possibility of having the clot come out, causing dry socket (very painful) or of the tooth space getting infected. My dentist says it's always a good possibility of happening. We'll see.

Next week, I should be back to normal and hopefully put in a full week of training. I get to bump up the intensity a little as well which should be fun.

No comments: