Friday, November 2, 2012

Fall Update

Wow, it's been awhile.  But now that the hectic school start up is over, I think will start blogging again.

First of all - my race report for the Kelowna Apple Triathlon is on Daily Mile so I won't rewrite it here.  Swim, Bike, and Run.  The short version is that I met my goals and expectations overall and had a super fun time. Finish time. 1:37:33. Happy. :)

Second - my Victoria Half Marathon Race Report is on Daily Mile as well.  Here's the link.  My chip time was 2:14:31 - an unexpected course PR for me! Again, I was happy!

Diet / Weight

Still trying to lose that last 6 lbs (7lbs? 8lbs? it depends on the day).  I've gone back to counting calories on My Fitness Pal.  It works for me and I like it.  I'd like to lose 5 lbs before Christmas so I can gain it back over Christmas and only have 5 lbs to lose again in January instead of 10 :)

I had fun eating vegetarian for the month of September.  It was really easy to cut out meat and I didn't miss it at all.  However, once October hit, I gradually added meat back into my diet again mainly for the simplicity of feeding my family.  Currently, I eat meat 3-4 dinners a week, and vegetarian the rest.  I rarely eat meat for breakfast or lunch.

Training

As usual, my goal for the fall/winter is to do strength and core, and maintain cardio fitness doing mostly Zone 2 workouts. I'm trying to run 3 times a week, do 8-10km on the weekends and 30-45 minutes Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have set up the trainer and I try to ride in Zone 2 for 45-60 minutes a few times a week. In addition, I am trying to go to the gym twice a week for a strength workout. Once in awhile, I swim.

I know. I said that bad word "try".  There is no try, there is only do.  However, I still have to fit in work and family so at least one of my workouts gets bumped every week.  I've also had some health issues this past couple of weeks which I hope will be resolved by the end of November. More on that later, if necessary. :)

Upcoming Race!

Gee, I almost forgot!  We have a great Daily Mile team all set for the Kelowna Pub Run on Sunday, November 18th!  Erik and I, Mellissa, Dustin, Jason SP, and Jason R will be donning DM Superhero costumes (black tights, underwear, capes, and DM logos) and running from pub to pub. Of course, the runner must down a beer before the next person can start their leg. All in good fun!  

***************************

Catherine at the Vancouver Half Iron
And this just in...

I was devastated to learn that my twitter friend Catherine Clarke, @TisCath on twitter, who I finally met at the Apple triathlon last year, was killed in a car accident in New Zealand yesterday.  I'm not sure her exact age, but she raced the 45-49 age group in the Olympic race at the Worlds in Auckland and then planned to spend a month travelling around New Zealand.  I talked to her last, a few days before she left.  She was really excited. I'm so sad for her family. :(  Here's a link to the news report.

Update:  Here's a link to a more detailed article in the Victoria Times Colonist

No comments: